Final words on Midget tranny swap?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Final words on Midget tranny swap?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 01:13:35 -0400
So what is the knowledge base on midget tranny swaps?

  I see a lot of traffic about it, but I'd like to sort of get
a summary or a URL of a summary.

  My current situation is that the tranny on my Midget 1500 is
showing it's age. It'll get me through the season, but is going to
require attention next year.

  So I kind of want to get myself mentally ready and know what
I need, so if it dies on my I can start ordering kits and
sourcing gearboxes right away.

  I'd really consider installing a jap 5 speed of some design,
especially the ones I've been hearing rumours about that require
no body modifications and not a hell of a lot of custom work
to get going. My engine has 180 miles on it, so I'm not going
to change it this time around, just the tranny.

  So what are my options? It's a 1975 Midget 1500, and I live
in Ottawa Canada so I have a fair pool of jap cars to source from
but no access to UK-Fords or that sort.

--
                   Trevor Boicey - Computer Engineer
                1992 Celica GT (95% of the driving I do)