Mechanical advance springs, distributor

To: All <MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: Mechanical advance springs, distributor
From: Larry Hoy <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 26 Aug 96 13:13:42 EDT
I have just finished cleaning up my distributor because the mechanical advance
wasn't working.  I found two problems.  First: the connection between the shaft
and the cam was so corroded that movement was not possible.  Second: this may
have been exacerbated (my $10.00 word for the day) by the previous owner.  It
seems as though I have two different mechanical advance springs in my
distributor.  One looks like a coil spring off the front suspension of  a Chevy,
the other looks like a spring from a watch.  This can't be right can it?  My
guess is the mechanical advance never worked and froze on the shaft.

Well now everything is cleaned up and moves freely, but I don't know where to
get replacement springs, any suggestions?

Larry
1969 MGB
Denver, Co