Re: Mechanical advance springs, distributor

To: Larry Hoy <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Mechanical advance springs, distributor
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:43:26 +0000
<From: 73253.1136 @ CompuServe.COM (Larry Hoy) @ USDESMTP
<Date: 08/26/96 01:13:42 PM
<Subject: Mechanical advance springs, distributor
<
<I have just finished cleaning up my distributor because the mechanical advance
<wasn't working.  I found two problems.  First: the connection between the shaft
<and the cam was so corroded that movement was not possible.  Second: this may
<have been exacerbated (my $10.00 word for the day) by the previous owner.  It
<seems as though I have two different mechanical advance springs in my
<distributor.  One looks like a coil spring off the front suspension of  a
Chevy,
<the other looks like a spring from a watch.  This can't be right can it?  My
<guess is the mechanical advance never worked and froze on the shaft.
<
<Well now everything is cleaned up and moves freely, but I don't know where to
<get replacement springs, any suggestions?
<
<Larry
<1969 MGB
<Denver, Co

I don't know about the B but my TD has two different size springs in the
distributor.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 10 months and counting