Fenders and Dash, 73 B

Subject: Fenders and Dash, 73 B
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 21:38:18 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks to all who answered my query, especially Christopher Delling Robert
Rhodes and Dick Burger.

I now have the following choice.  Keep in mind that I now have a 75+
fender on the left and somewhat mushed and slightly torn (in the wheel
well, about 1/4") 73 fender on the right).

1) Insurance company recommendation.  Fix the right fender.  This is
essentially paid for.

2) 1 73 left fender for $370.  Remove dash and windscreen, replace left
fender.  This  makes the fender match, and I replace the windscreen to
body frame seal in the process.  The right fender is repaired and the
whole mess is painted (with or without windscreen on?)

3) 2 MkI fenders for $315 each ($630 total).  Remove dash and windscreen,
replace both fenders.  This lets me apply some fender repair labor toward
painting the whole car, but costs me up front in fenders.  Both fenders
match for sure, and are "new", but the wrong vintage (turn signals
slightly out of position for my year?)

I want to get the whole car painted after this extravaganza regardless (so
it matches). I would like to replace the windscreen to body seal since it
leaks.  I would like to not have to do any of this again any time soon.  I
am sick of the wrong fender on the right since it screws up the turn
signal (the rubber-bumper fender doesn't really have a mounting point for
the turn signal).

I am willing to take off the dash, windscreen, replace fenders, and
replace windscreen and dash myself.  I'm certainly willing to strip chrome
and other fittings for painting.  I'm not so keen on sanding.

How do you get the dash off, anyway?

Sigh.  Car show in 15 days.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Pournelle's Law of Costs and Schedules:
   Everything costs more and takes longer."