I have been initiated !!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: I have been initiated !!
From: Mathys <mathysj@kenyon.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 00:37:54 -0700
MGer's

  The initiation is over.  I just completed purchased a '77 Midget - and
wouldn't ya' know it I have some questions about these cars ;)  The car
is mechanically sound, but will require attention (as they are kwown to).

  1) I blew a fuse (turn signals) on the way home at night and could not
for the life of me find what I would expect to be a fusebox.  There are
four fuses in the engine compartment (corner of the firewall and fender)
but these were OK.  All all of the other interior fuses the in-line type
so that I have to fish for them ?

  2) The front end seems to "skate" a little a high speed (60 feels fast
with the top down).  Should I look for something in the steering or
suspension first ?

3)  I drove about 75 miles tonight and the fuel gauge didn't seem to
move.  Do these cars get that kind of mileage ?  I stopped for gas and
filled it up, but the gas gauge didn't move.  Where should I start and
what should I look for ?

4)  What is the conventional wisdom on tuning up the air/fuel mixture for
the first time ?  Should I have a "professional" do it or do you just
experiment (I am a chemist) to get a feel for what mixtures allow the car
to run its best.

5)  If anyone one has a line on shops to handle roadster repair
near Columbus Oh. (closer) or even Cleveland let me know.

  Well here's one from the "newbie" - I expected problems with the
electrical system, but on the first night!  Gee Thanks Dr. Lucas.

  Jeff Mathys
  1977 Midget
  Gambier, Oh.