Fender Replacement, continued

Subject: Fender Replacement, continued
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 09:39:35 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks again to those who wrote about how to get the dash off... it wasn't
as hard as I feared, though of course harder than I liked.

Removing the windscreen frame was simple, and removing the fenders wasn't
too bad...  unfortunately helped by the fact the DPO didn't have all the
bolts in the fender he put on (the rubber-bumper one).

That all took one day of sweating, including going down to get the fenders
themselves.  We also replaced the boot lid with one not-quite-as-bent.
Shot: one Saturday.

Sunday we spent quite a bit of time fitting the fenders.  Getting them
into place with the ability to open the door, too, took a specific
sequence of bolt tightening.  Oh, and we also had the body-hammer kit out
to straighten the "core" enough to get the fenders on.

This car has a checkered past (probably not a cab, but who knows...)
Anyway, the DPO repairs included a whole front core section as well as the
left fender.  He didn't attach the front core properly... it was held on
with bondo, wood, and the motor mounts.  When I re-did the engine I had
this section welded on properly... but evidently not quite aligned.

Well, that's why it took so long (plus going to the store twice for
missing bolts/screws).  Now the fenders are both on, and lined up nicely.
The bonnet is on and closes properly... just need a very slight tweak
before tightening the hinge bolts.

The next stage is to drill/nibble the mounting points for the side-marker
lights, and replace all the headlight, turn signal hardware, and of course
the bumper, grill and overrider.

With luck I'll get in the paint shop early next week, put the trim and
windscreen on after that, and still be ready for the show on the 14-15
weekend.

John M. Trindle     | TSCC-Net Host      | jtrindle@tsquare.com
T-Square Company    | ISS/FSPlan for FS5 | trindle@widomaker.com
Flight Deck IFT-PRO | http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle