MGB idling problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB idling problem
From: KSwaggart@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 10:36:38 -0400
When releasing the accellerator to idle, my 74B RPMs drop down to a near
stall, then comes up to about 900 RPM. If I leave it at idle, it
occassionally drops back down to near stall, then will come up again. If I
set what appears to be normal idle at 800 RPM it will then acutally stall.

This is happening with a new pair of carbs - I double checked the carb
mixtures and synchronizing.  Also checked for vacuum leaks. The carb pistons
appear to be moving fine.

I have replaced the distributor, for other reasons, but there was no change
in symptoms between the old distributor and new.

Any ideas? It runs fine when not at idle, but when its due for a smog check
(Calif) it probably won't pass.

Ken Swaggart
Foster City, CA
kswaggart@aol.com