TF Mystery

To: "MGs" <MGs@autox.team.net>, <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Subject: TF Mystery
From: "Lew Palmer" <ThePalmers@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:21:57 -0500
After redoing the head ( I had a burned valve and wanted a lead free head)
the engine would break up on long .....

Mike -

Just a wild guess, but the silicon bronze valve guides often used on
no-lead heads are prone to hanging a valve. It seems as if tiny pieces of
metal will start to spall and cause a decrease in clearance between the
guide and the valve stem. This will cause the valve to hang up and cause
many of the symptoms you describe.

On my TD this happened three different times before there was enough wear
in the guides to have the problem stop. I am told that the silicon bronze
guides should be reamed about .001 to .002 oversized to prevent the
problem.

Maybe just an outside chance of this being the issue, but having said that
you converted to a no-lead head, I have strong suspicions.

Regards,
Lew Palmer