RE: Body & Vin

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Body & Vin
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 01:34:44 -0400
I don't know what is legal or not, and it would probably be battled out on a
case by case basis anyway.  Here's what I would do:

Since the B roadster is pre-smog (it was wasn't it?)  I would get an active
title and registration on it now, nomatter what condition it was in.  That
way when the time came to build the BGT, nobody will have to inspect it,  put
the vin #'s and the plates on the car and drive away.

It is very easy to establish ownership on a car who's vin has dropped from
the computers at the Cal. DMV.  You simply have to file a statement of facts
as to how you aquired the car, and trailer the scrap heap to a licensed
vehicle verifier, which can be an automobile wholesaler at a local used car
dealer, a highway patrolman, or at a DMV office.  3 to 4 weeks later, a
certificate of title arrives in the mail.

It is always much safer to establish title and ownership BEFORE starting a
project rather than when it is done. It would be a major bumber to finish a
project, only to find out you couldn't register the thing.   Also, California
license fees are based on the value of the car, so your license fees will be
far less if you get it registered now rather than when the project is
completed.

Just my $0.02 worth.
David "what year is it anyway" Riker
69 Midget (74 body shell, don't tell)