Advice on buying a 70 BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on buying a 70 BGT
From: "W. Lee Vick, Jr." <mkii@pobox.micro.ti.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 09:07:48 -0500
mg.gurus,

        I've posted this to other places but this is my first time asking
the on-line gurus of MG'ness so please forgive me if you've seen this before.

        Right, here we go. I'm 'bout thiiiis close to buying a 1970 MG BGT
to replace my reasonably dependable but less than exciting 1990 Ford Escort
LX. The kicker is this thing's in California and I'm in Texas (my uncle's
seen it and I have pictures of the outside which show it is pretty good
shape). So, assuming I am insane enough to take a few days off work (like I
have the time. NOT) and fly halfway across the country to spend thousands
of dollars on a car I've never seen and then drive it to death for two
days, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

        First, here's what I know:

        1970 MG BGT, chrome bumpers (split rear), BRG, black interior,
Uncle says interior is in good shape except for the dash (standard problems
but the car comes with a spare dash though I hear they're a booger to
replace), paint looks good (but could use a polishing), wire wheels, No
O/D, ORIGINAL OWNER (retiring 70 year old physicist), no modifications that
I know of, No A/C, bumper(s) have been replaced once or twice because he
accidentally let his wife drive the car (don't attack me ladies, I'm
repeating what I heard). Ehmm, that's all I can think of. No wait, about
90K miles with the engine rebuilt at 75K, body is straight, claims no rust
(car is in Sacramento) and Uncle says he hasn't seen any. Owner says he'll
take $2900.

        I haven't spoken with the owner yet but will be calling him
probably this weekend. What should I ask? I have had my uncle ask and he
was told that the wire wheels are in good shape and easy to remove (not
rusted on) but I'll double check that with the owner. So, bottom line I
need help in knowing:

        1) What should I ask about?

        2) Is the price reasonable?

        3) What should I do to it before driving back?

        Many thanks. And I hope to soon join the ranks of MG owners and
then I can begin pestering you all with questions about what to do next!
BTW, I really want the car as a daily driver (about 4 miles each way to
work and the odd 3 hour highway drive) and am not interested in concourse,
rallying, racing, or tweaking. I'm guessing the car's pretty original and
I'd like to keep it that way (except for the odd bit of expediency but that
will be the exception and not the rule).

                                         Cheers,

                                         Lee.

* Lee Vick           *           "Maybe we can get away with           *
* leevick@ti.com     *             kludging up the macro."             *
* +1 713-274-2241    *      wishing-to-remain-anonymous co-worker      *
* Collecting: Old 8-bit micros - Kaypro, Osborne, Altair, C64, Vic-20, *
* Coleco Adam, Morris... Please write if you've one collecting dust.   *
* Standard disclaimer: TI as an organization is much too smart to      *
*                      to agree with anything I have to say.           *