Re: Advice on buying a 70 BGT

To: "W. Lee Vick, Jr." <mkii@pobox.micro.ti.com>
Subject: Re: Advice on buying a 70 BGT
From: Bill Mills <williem@nando.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 96 13:13:03 -0500
-- [ From: Bill Mills * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Dash is not too bad to replace -someone recently commented on the procedure
for a '73 dash, process is the same but no glove box.  Check on condition of
tires before driving this back to Tx.  If they are bad or have been sitting
up a long time, they may be dry rotted.  Replace with 175SR14, not always
available.  Wire wheels will require tubes, you must get the correct size
tube.  Tire places are not very knowledgable about wire wheels and tubes.
Find out where current owner gets his tire work done.  If the inside of the
wheels (under the tubes) are rusted you will need to clean them up or they
will punch holes in the tubes.  You must have the correct rubber wheel
liners (giant rubber bands that cover up the ends of the spoke nipples).
These are sometimes hard to find.  I believe the last ones I got were from
Moss but were often unavailable.  Hopefully the tires  and spare are in good
shape.  You will have great deals of difficulty in getting a tire/tube
repaired on the road with wire wheels.  More than one spare would not be a
bad idea if you can get it.  However, space to carry the extra spare will be
difficult.  Can sit in passenger seat or in the boot.  Get a few spares to
carry with you on the trip, you will need them eventually anyway (fan belts,
distributor cap, rotor, condensor, points, plugs, thermostat - I've been
running the 165 F thermostat year round - , heater hoses, radiator hoses and
clamps , cellular phone and AAA card ). Before I started out on the trip, I
would hit all the grease fittings with a shot and top up the shocks with
fluid.  Be sure to tighten hard all the wheel centre nuts.

Go for it.

Bill Mills
70 BGT, WW, O/D (not in yet), but no AC - daily driver