MGA Maiden Voyage: A Titanic Success

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Maiden Voyage: A Titanic Success
From: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 08:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I got the '60 A registered Tuesday, finally; fabricated a front
license plate bracket Tuesday night; bowled Wednesday night (is summer
really over?); was called a chicken last night by my father...  So last
night I headed over to mom and dad's after dinner in the A.  I was pretty
nervous at first, and was surprised HOW LOW the thing was geared.  Seemed
like it wanted 4th at 30 mph (I know, it's a sports car and the engine
wants to rev).  Anyway, was just gettin' comfortable when she died.  Made
it a grand total of 1.6 miles.  Fuel pump sounded like a Gene Kelly -
Fred Astaire dance-off, so I tried the obvious first and walked 1.6 miles
home, got a gas can...  Nope.  So a tow home and now some questions.  I
know all this stuff has been covered before, but I didn't have my car then.
The car sat for 10 years, so I figure there's a clog somewhere.  What
procedures should I follow?  Where should I look first?  Should I
disassemble the fuel pump for cleaning?  Can I clean the fuel tank
myself?  How?  Hope to have better experiences to report in the future.
Also, is anybody going to Watkins Glen this weekend?  I'll be the guy in
the black Nissan truck.  Thanks,

Tom