Re: Major Midget Electrical Failure

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Major Midget Electrical Failure
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 12:39:59 -0700 (PDT) (19:39 UT)
Boy, when you piss off the prince of darkness, you do it BIGTIME!
Useless-anecdote-cause-I-like-talking-about-my-MGs: Same type of thing
happened to me just a couple of months ago.  Engine cranks, and then
stops. Lights only work dimly.  Turned out battery bit the big one by
shorting out internally.
  In your case, I might conjecture all kinds of things, but your
tach and other equipment not working is mystifying.  I might hazard to
guess that your starter has a short in it and is draining the system.
It might be worth disconnecting first the solenoid wire, then the
starter cable, and see if the electrical equipment comes back.  Are
you using a generator or an alternator?  You might try disconnecting
that, too.  Last, it could be the voltage regulator.  If you have one
of the old style blade-contact type, you can try pounding on it to
dislodge a stuck contact.
  As a stretch, if you are using a generator, it's possible that the
coils have become reverse-polarized.  If disconnecting the generator
brings relief, then try the polarizing technique described in the
MOSS catalog.
  Check all ground straps.  Engine to body. Battery to body. Underdash
ground wires.

Good luck.  Don't forget to sacrifice a spark plug to Lucas...
*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*