TD valve locknut missing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD valve locknut missing
From: caoss@dbug.org (andrew f. campbell)
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 96 16:48:41 PDT
Hi all,

I'm new to this list, My dad just aquired a '52 cream & cracker TD. I am the
unofficial mechanic.

It started running like there was a vapor lock problem. I moved the fuel line
away from the exhaust manifold. Still running bad. I then took the valve cover
off to adjust the valves and found the culprit - a missing valve tappet locknut
was missing - and it wasn't sitting anywhere on the top of the head. Luckily,
the nut hasn't done any damage that I'm aware of, but I can't find it. I'm not
starting it until it's found - it could do damage.

My question is: Does anyone know where to begin looking? It doesn't seem like
there is many places to go. This is the early engine (I'm not sure what the
difference is between the early and late engines).

Thanks for the help,

Drew Campbell