Re: MGA Windshield Wiper Motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Windshield Wiper Motor
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Sep 1996 10:30:04 -0500
In <960907235300_196706835@emout19.mail.aol.com>, RatiganJ@aol.com wrote:
> A case
>in point is the windshield wiper motor.  The wire from the electrical motor
>to the gearbox was severed, which I realize must be repaired.  However, when
>taking off the gearbox cover (and the round cover in which the wire goes), I
>become suspecious that a piece is missing.  It seems to me that there should
>be a plate between the copper contact to which the wire is soldered and the
>crankpin. Otherwise, there would only be occasional electrical contact.  Does
>anyone know if such is the case/

First, congratulations for getting the !!@@##@@#! thing out.  The MGA
wiper motor is in one of those places that require double-jointed
elbows and fingers.  You are correct in assuming that there is more to
the parking switch than a single contact.  The assembly has a contact
(to which the wire is soldered) and an arm that is normally closed,
but is periodically opened by a pin on the drive gear so as to park
the wipers automatically.  The current path through the switch is to
ground.  The wiper switch shunts this assembly, so that current is
provided all of the time.  When the switch is opened, then the motor
continues to run until the internal switch opens.  The switch position
is adjusted by rotating the stamped steel housing that kind of looks
like a knob.

>Does anyone know where a drawing of the
>wiper moter internals might be found or who sells internal motor
>parts?

This motor was on millions of older British Cars, including sedans of
all kinds.  Look for a junkyard.

                        A. B. Bonds