Goodbye leaded fuel

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Goodbye leaded fuel
From: Garry Hill/estec/ESAdev
Date: 10 Sep 96 11:03:56
Hi all,

Well, it finally seems to be happening. Here in Holland (I'm told) there will
be no leaded fuel sold here after the year 2000. I arrived at my favorite
petrol station (Texaco) last night and they had sneaked in and replaced the
leaded pump with something they call "Super 98 with lead substitute". I filled
up the tank of my '73 BGT with some trepidation I can tell you ! The pump
attendant said "Oh it's the same as leaded !" --- well I can tell him it's not
! My poor little car didn't know what hit it - it coughed and spluttered all
the way home. On the way to work this morning it wasn't too bad, just a small
mis-fire occasionally. The leaflet Texaco has published says that the new fuel
protects soft valve seats, should I believe them ? Have any of you (especially
all you Europeans) had any experiences of this stuff ? Any tales of woe,
satisfaction or caution would be welcome.

Regards,

Garry Hill