Re: Radial Tires for the MGA?

To: PoleCat37@aol.com
Subject: Re: Radial Tires for the MGA?
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 05:45:30 -0400
In a message dated 96-09-09 22:00:11 EDT, PoleCat37@aol.com writes:

<< I have an MGA with wire wheels that I've just recently restored.  Should I
put radial or bias ply tires on it? >>

John,

If you're going for originality, bias ply 5.60-15  4-ply nylon cord was
original.  If you like to drive, definitly radials, they'll stick to the road
better.  155-15 is closest to the original width (just a bit smaller in
diameter).  165-15 fits just as well, is closest diameter for correct
speedometer and odometer reading, should make it handle a bit better, and
gives you more choices.  For sure go for a tire labeled "Traction A", settle
for nothing less.

Having now used several different types of tires, for street use my current
favorite is Dunlop SP4.  These are just about $5 more than the cheapest
tires, ride well, handle great on the road, and will take you lots of miles
before wearing out.  Call around to find a tire distributor (as opposed to
tire dealer).  Even a distributor may have to order them from Kansas City or
such, but the wait should be a little shorter and you can save some $$$ as
well.

Once or twice a year you should inspect the wheels.  Pick at each spoke with
your finger like plucking a guitar string.  Every spoke should go "dink" and
not "thunk".  Any loose ones should be snugged up immediately.  Also dismount
the wheels at least once a year to prevent the splined hubs from freezing in
place.  If you perform these rituals regularly, the wire wheels should go you
many years with very little trouble (assuming the splines or in good shape or
course).

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA