Re: SMOG

To: mgs@autox.team.net, cdelling@mail.ic.net
Subject: Re: SMOG
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:06:42 -0700

> My question (to California, N.J. and others) is:  Is there a grandfather
> clause to protect people who owned cars prior to the legislation?  It
> would seem to me that many of the laws would include such a provision.
> You couldn't sell your car to somone in the state, but it wouldn't
> prevent you from using it.
>
> Experience shows that whatever gets adopted by California, usualy ends
> up affecting more and more of us as time goes by.  It's important that
> all of us are aware of the attempts to regulate the hobby, cause sure as
> hell it will come back to bite us all in the ass sooner or later.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Delling

At risk of prolonging the haranging I'll reply.

I had a yack with my smog guru...Bottom line...Little effect on a well tuned car
in decent shape. Best practice, use a smog person you have established a
relationship
with who will pretest the car on his usual device to do the tweakage needed to
pass
on the machine that is hooked up to the computer at gov central. The machine
has been
hooked up to gov central for some time. Biggest difference is the test at 2500
RPM.
Again not a problem for MOST cars in good tune. Cost impact minimal, hassle not
much
different from before.

Worst practice,... go to the local "Smoger In A Box" in and out, get a cert.
They just
stick the probe in the appropriate orifice, and shazam, whatever happens,
happens.
Little opportunity or interest in tweak to pass.

The confiscation stuff is mostly generated to deliver your ears to the next
advertiser.

Once again, California is a terrible place! You wouldn't want to live here! I
don't
know how anyone can stand it.

Ken