engine problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine problems
From: BOB MCDOUGAL <rem@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:19:31 -0700
Hello Sol,
        I am off the list for a short time, until I can get my e-mail
service runing correctly, But I have a problem now and coul use some
advice.
        I have spent several of my free afternoons for the last few
months (okay, more than half a year since I don't get much free time)
trying to get Sysiphus, my '74 MGB running and legal again.

        I bought a used engine from a neighborhood mg guru and stuck it
into my car. I finally got all of the ancilaries back onto it, and tried
to turn it over this afternoon. . . no oil presure. I tried replacing
the new oil filter, suspecting a bad valve in it, with no sucess, there
was stil no oil pressure.
        This engine supposidly worked fine when it was taken out of a
'78 that had a fuel line fire, so I am a little hopefull that I haven't
just spent a lot of time putting a dead motor into sysiphus.
        Does anyone have any suggestions for what to check or try,
before I give up on the motor?

                                Thanks in advance,
                                        Jim McDougal