RE: Stereo installation...?

To: "'Ceicia@aol.com'" <Ceicia@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Stereo installation...?
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 23:24:54 -0400
I had thought of something like that, but a friend of mine who helps me =
work on my B is about 6', and can't drive unless the seat is nearly all =
the way back.  If it weren't for all the help he provides, I'd make him =
deal with it, but...

BTW:  I heard of what sounds like a really good mounting place.  Just =
behind the center console, in the space between the console and the car =
body.  You can mount some mids/tweets in there, and they supposedly =
sound great.  Or course, separation wouldn't be too hot, so my idea was =
to mount mids down there, in a custom panel you could make to keep =
everything pretty, and set a pair of little dome tweeters in the =
rail-thingy at the top of the doors.  You'd put the tweeters toward the =
front end, of course.  This way, you'd get the full range, good =
separation, and it'd all be hidden, for the most part, from would-be B =
slashers.  The only thing I haven't come up with a pleasing solution for =
is subwoofers.  I know there are subs out there that basically require =
no enclosure, but I've never heard how they sound.  Unless you build a =
box, which takes up ever-so valuable space, and is not very hideable, =
the only options I see requires cutting of metal:  Into the trunk, or on =
the side panels behind the seats, the latter of which would be better, =
assuming the enclosureless speakers are worth a hoot.  Anyway, let me =
know what you think; this is the kind of thing where you'd feel really =
dumb doing if you didn't do it the best way possible :).

Regards,