RE: Tie rod Ends / 64 B / 2nd try

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tie rod Ends / 64 B / 2nd try
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:57:00 -0700 (PDT)
Your tie rod ends should be screwed on the same amount on either side to
keep the proper geometry in the suspension. The only reason that this would
not be the case is if the car had been in an accident which damaged the
suspension. On my car for instance, the brackets on the crossmember which
mount the rack had been bent over to the passenger's side. I always wondered
why it was hard to make u-turns. Anyway, after correcting these problems you
should adjust toe-in by moving both tie rods the same amount to preserve the
geometry. If your steering wheel is not straight, drive the car to
straighten the wheels then stop and remove the steering wheel, rotating it
to the correct position. Just to make sure everything is ok, you should have
an equal degree of rotation from center in either direction if everything is
correct.

Chris Reichle