Strange Knocking Sound

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange Knocking Sound
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 21:28:21 -0400 (EDT)
To all who supplied their wisdom I give thanks,

This is what I have thus far.  I removed the calipers and the rotor turns
free and clear no binding or dragging so I assume the bearings are not the
problem? When I removed the pads from the caliper they seemed to be hung up
or binding.  So I check it out very carefully and it seems that the ends of
the pads were binding in the caliper which I figure was keeping them from
moving away from the rotor when the brake was released, I cleaned the ends
up with some fine sand paper and they seem to move freely now. Of course the
flaw I see in my own logic is why a knock opposed to constant drag which
would produce excessive heat which should  produce a noticable odor? So
maybe the rotor is warped just enough to cause a knock?  Before I pull the
rotor I will put the caliper back on and see if the noise is gone. Any
thoughts will be appreciated.  BTW the pads were replaced in December 95.

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.