Re: It lives, it breathes, it is very loud.

To: BERNZO@aol.com
Subject: Re: It lives, it breathes, it is very loud.
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 21:24:58 -0500
BERNZO@aol.com wrote:

> After 6 years of blood, sweat and tears of a total rebuild (sills, doors,
> wings, interior, engine etc., etc.) I got  the engine in my '74 BGT started
> for the first time!

CONGRATULATIONS!  Just been there on my '79 after 3 years.  Wasn't
running when I got it, so never had the experience until it started
right up on the first attempt.  You have some great fun times ahead of
you.

> I got it started in the garage yesterday afternoon with suprisingly little
> difficulty. After about 3 minutes of running time, I filled my 2 car garage
> with all sorts of thick, grey noxious fumes, burning all the paint off of the
> exhaust pipes but not the mufflers.

Sounds familiar - been there, done that, too!  Why do the paint the
headers, anyway?

> OK, now that it is running, here are my questions, in no particular order...
>
> 1. How hot should the coil get while the engine is running? Mine got pretty
> warm, I could still hold my hand on it, but not for long before it became
> uncomfortable.

Haven't checked mine - but coils normally do run warm.  There's a lot of
current and magnetic forces flowing in the coil.  Double check to make
sure that your coil doesn't require an external ballast resistor or
resistive wire.  If it does, and you don't have one, the 12 volts will
cause heating and loss of longevity on the coil.  Now I'm curious - will
have to check mine tomorrow.

> 2. Where should the timing be set? Right now, static, about 15 degrees BTDC.
> I assume that the idle should be close to 800 RPM, and that I should set that
> prior to the timing.

Sounds OK there - check your book for your year - make sure the vacuum
advance is disconnected and plug the end still connected to the
manifold.

> 3. How loud should this thing be? At 2500 RPM is was VERY loud. The exhaust
> system is a new ANSA system, clamps are tight and most of the noise is coming
> out the rear, but wow, I don't remember any other B (of mine or any other)
> being quite that loud.

Mine also has ANSA exhaust - with headers - and the pre-muffler
(resonator?) normally located under the driver's seat was replaced with
a straight pipe by the PO.  So the only muffler is the short one with
the twin chrome tips.  Really loud.  Set's off car alarms in garages and
sometimes on the street.  Normal cruise speeds are not bad - easy to
carry on a conversation.  Wind noise probably louder than exhaust.  Ran
mine for 20 to 25 minutes also the first time - and that was around
10pm.  I think I annoyed a couple of neighbors - but they'll get over
it. ;')

> Once I get these things sorted out, then its off to the body shop for paint.
> We're still on track to be road-worthy by Spring '97.

Good Luck - enjoy it - and Safety Fast!!

> Thanks in Advance.
> Dave Bernier
> '74 BGT.

Wayne Kube