Cleaning Spark Plugs

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Cleaning Spark Plugs
From: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 07:19:00 -0500
DONMATHIS@LUCENT.COM         Wrote:

DO>I take my spark plugs out before a long trip and clean them using a
DO>motorized wire brush.  It does a great job.  However, I "feel" like the
DO>cleaned spark plugs eventually don't do as well as new plugs.  Granted, I
DO>can't clean down inside of the plug but is this a problem.  How many times
DO>should you clean the plugs before throwing them away and putting in new
DO>ones.  (I hate it when my Scottish heritage shows)

DO>Don Mathis,Ph.D.
DO>LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
DO>donmathis@lucent.com
DO>'61 MGA     '37 Bentley

 Has anyone tried "burning" your plugs ? Use a MAPP gas torch ( 'cause
 it's faster ) to heat the electrode end of the plug up to a nice medium
 orange color ( 1400-1500 degrees) for 3-4 seconds, let cool. The plug
 will come out spottless ( unless you use leaded fuel, then the ceramic
 will be sightly  yellow ) Re-gap and reinstall. This method will
 restore any plug that isn't broken, Fuel fowled, oil fowled, carboned
 dosen't matter.
  I only buy one spare set of plugs for each car, so I can have one set
 ready to install when I need them. My oldest set to date is in my 1980
 Olds, 9 years old.
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ john.kahoon@pcohio.com

 |_|_| PC-OHIO PCBoard Online * pcohio.com * V34+ 33.6: 216-381-3320
 |_|_| The Best BBS in America * Cleveland, OH * Go Tribe