Freeze Plug MGTC & Other Coolant Discussions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Freeze Plug MGTC & Other Coolant Discussions
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 09:36:16 -0300
        Now I know why the water jacket area of the Sunbeam Talbot engine I
bought in New Mexico is full of _heavy_ unbelievable rust! You guys in warm
southern climates don't use antifreeze! Shame! Just because your car will
never see freezing temperatures, use it anyways as it has marvelous
anti-corrosion properties and it certainly DOES NOT lower the boiling point
of the coolant. BTW, I replaced the water pump on the DHC this spring and
the impeller looks like the day it was made 42 years ago thanks to the use
of antifreeze.

Regards,
Bob

> What should be
>>used as cooling water just purified water or a regular coolant for a
>>modern car. I do not expect any temperatures below freezing point.
>
>For California, use only distilled water without coolant as you have a
>non-sealed system. I recently heard of a source of stainless steel freeze
>plugs, but the address eludes me.

Robert A. C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The "Proper" Sunbeam Man!
1953 Alpine & 1954 90 MK IIA Drophead Coupe and Saloon (+1973 Midget)
See Sunbeams @ BATANS: http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html