Stub Axles and Suspension Bushings

Subject: Stub Axles and Suspension Bushings
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:54:26 -0700
I'm currently in process of restoring a '51 TD and I'm working on the
front suspension.  Two questions:

1.  Unfortunately, one of my stub axles (the part that sticks out from
the back brake plate and is parallel to the ground) sat outside in the
weather for some time and got rusty.  The rust is mostly surface rust
and isn't real serious, although there may be some pitting evident when
I get it cleaned up.  Probably no structural damage.  Will some pitting
cause a problem?  Do I have to get a new one or can this one be
"refurbished"?   It seems that if the surface is ground down at all,
then the bearings won't fit properly later on.  Am I unnecessarily
concerned?  If I have to replace it, I would rather do it now while I am
at this stage, rather than later when more stuff is attached to the
chassis/car.  I would prefer not to replace it, since I think they are
expensive and hard to find.  True?  Moss doesn't even list them.

2.  Moss lists MGB V8 heavy-duty suspension bushings and, separately,
urethane suspension bushings.  I thought the MGB V8 bushings _were_
urethane?!  Does anyone have any experience with either of them?  Which
would you recommend?  I'm tempted to go with the urethane, although they
are about $10 more.  However, I'm concerned that they may be difficult
to install if they have no give to them at all.  BTW, I am replacing
rubber bushings that were installed but despite the fact that the car
has never been on the road they are cracked from age (about 3 years in
storage, although some outside).  I am also replacing several other POS
rubber parts that also failed _in storage_.  I was warned about the
short life of replacement rubber and tried to help the problem by giving
them all generous coats of Armor-all but to no avail.  Any other
suggestions about prolonging their life?  Perhaps a different source
with higher quality?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX