Re:Stub Axles and Suspension Bushings

Subject: Re:Stub Axles and Suspension Bushings
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 19:21:41 -0700
Thanks to all (and there were many) that responded to my original post
regarding my rusty stub axle and suspension bushings.  Although opinions
varied, I learned some basic things:

1.  I _was_ overly concerned, although I will get my stub axles
magnafluxed for cracks, just for safety's sake.

2.  The urethane bushings seem to be preferred for racing usage, and the
MGB V8 heavy duty bushings were the near unanimous choice.

3.  There is no real solution to the poor durability of replacement
rubber items, although I did learn that soaking them in Armorall was
actually the WORST thing I could do.  I now know that Armorall actually
deteriorates rubber over time, although it is supposed to be OK for
vinyl.

Thanks again, now I've got some work to do.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX