Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

To: Bill Harkins <wharkns@inetworld.net>
Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 17:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Bill Harkins wrote:
> My understanding for the unsealed T-type MG cooling system is that you could
> boil at 212 deg F (lower than the 240-260 Deg F. of a sealed system). There

<snip>

> connected to the rad overflow pipe. The theory is that when the rad
> overflows in the heat, it runs into the tank and when it cools it flows back
> into the radiator, thus preserving at least 1 1/2 pints of coolant. I'll
<snip>

I have never had an unsealed cooling system, but if it really is open to
the atmosphere I would suggest that an overflow tank will not work.
The water will overflow into the tank, but it will not
be sucked back into the radiator since no vacuum can develop in the
radiator.
I.e. the radiator will suck some in some air rather than coolant through
the tube.
Am I missing something?

                                                           '67 Sprite