Re: MGA Questions

To: George Procyshyn <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Questions
From: Keith Morris <kmorris@gil.com.au>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 19:23:17 -0700
George Procyshyn wrote:

> I'm confused about my '59MGA engine number.

snip
> My engine number is BP15HGC3409 The illustration in the workshop manual

snip

I can't offer anything conclusive on this but expect that the engine is
not an MG one.  The same engines were used in many BMC cars.  I think
the HG denotes the car make but don't know what it is, MG is G on its
own.  The C is the engine type.  MG fitted B and D 1500 engines (ie
15GB12345 and 15GD12345). Yours must be in between these.

> Also a '59 is supposed to have a mechanical tach, right? and it's supposed
> to connect to the drivers side rear of the engine I'm told. One would think

snip + refer to later message re this.

MG's had mechanical tachs but many of the other makes which used the
engines did not have tachs at all so the drive was not fitted though the
stud holes are there.

> The breather on the top of the valve cover toward the front, between the oil
> filler and the front valve cover bolt is for what use?  Is something
> supposed to be connected to it? A hose going somewhere?

A hose connects to this and goes to the rear air cleaner.

> Lastly (I know, thank God) there's a spring about 4" long wound tight a bit
> bigger around than a pencil fastened to the hood release rod a bit rearward
> of the the rear SU. I don't think it's a throtle return spring as it can't
> go far enough forward (because of the supports holding the hood release rod)
> to be in position for that duty. But it looks factory and the other end is
> connected to nothing. Any thoughts appreciated.

This spring should go towards the front of the car and be located
between the large circular bracket which the carburettor air hose goes
into (if you have one fitted) and the wing.  You should be able to find
a tiny hole along the top of the flat piece of metal between the
circular bracket and the wing to fit the end of the spring into.  The
purpose of the spring is to pull back the hood release rod.