RE: Designed-in huge vacuum leak?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Designed-in huge vacuum leak?
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 16:21:00 -0700 (PDT)
The breather should be connected to the air filter assembly not the vacuum
side of the carb. The large port on the intake manifold is for your brake
booster
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: Designed-in huge vacuum leak?
Date: Monday,October 07,1996 2:17PM

It's a '77 MGB:

You know that hose that goes from the carb to the breather tube (coming out
of the engine side cover beneath the manifolds)?  It seems that you need
3/8" (I.D.) on the carb side, but 1/2" on the breather tube.  I reamed out
a 3/8" hose a little bit then soaked it in some solvent a little before
jamming it over the breather tube.  Is this normal?

On the carb side, the port to which this hose connects is just open to the
mixing chamber --- this is potentially a giant, 3/8" vacuum leak.  Am I to
believe that there is to be no restriction between this port and the
breather tube?  And if one has leaky rings or valve seals, doesn't this
translate to huge vacuum leak?  Or is there a restriction somewhere in or
beyond the breater tube?

Am I missing something here? This car hasn't ever run well since I picked
it up a couple of years ago, but I do know that the emissions equipment
(air pump, injector rail, gulp valve, etc) were removed by some PO.  I've
always been a Triumph guy; this MG stuff is all new to me.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB