Re: Roll bars, yea or nay

To: ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: Roll bars, yea or nay
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 07:59:35 -0700

> I see a lot of MGs with rollbars around here and I always picture what
> would happen if the car got rear-ended.  In this situation, the driver's
> head would move upwards and backwards at a very high speed.  Just in this
> direction, 3 inches away, I see a very rigid steel pipe.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if these ugly things had taken more lives than
> they have saved...
>
>     Ulix                                                    __/__,__
> .......................................................... (_o____o_).....
>                                                            '67 Sprite

Ulix,

There was an unfortunate incident in 68 or so when just such an accident took
the life of an SCCA club racer. Rules were rewitten to require a nonresilient
head rest at certain dimensions from the drivers helmet etc. Understanding the
dynamics of these high force incidents is a must to ensure the protective
device does indeed not become the insrument of ones destruction. Certainly
there are advantages to be had from various protective systems but poorly
designed
devices will not give the maximum benefit.

Pay attention, and try to anticipate,

Cheers,

Ken