Re: Spridget w/ jap. 5-speed

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Spridget w/ jap. 5-speed
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:36:04 +0000
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> > I've got a local aquaintance that bought "the kit" and a Datsun B200 5-speed
> > and put it in his Midget. That makes it wonderful -- for awhile. But he
>keeps
> > chewing the clutch splines off the front transmission shaft. Plus he has an
> > eccentric mix of Brit-SAE and Japan-Metric components -- including hydraulic
> > bits to keep the car on the road.
>
> Do you know why these splines keep going?  This doesn't sound too
> encouraging!

Current thought is that the centerline of the engine and the centerline of the
transmission don't line up just right. The clutch engages at some rotation and
it
is a little cocked. So as you drive, there is some stress on the clutch plate
and
the give becomes the splines in the input shaft of the transmission.

Yanking a motor/tranny out of a midget ain't any fun and this guy can now do
this
in his sleep.

Maybe there are multiple brands of 'kits' and his choice just didn't match up
good enough. Also, the yap slave cylinder and the brit master cylinder had
different ideas on the amount of volume needed so he had to bugger up the pedal
box to get a yap master cylinder in the car too.

This is what he is telling me. I ain't part of the wrench-turning in this
project.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69MGC/GT