Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters

To: Bert Otten <Bert.Otten@nni.nl>
Subject: Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:42:24 +0000
Bert Otten wrote:

> Dear MG enthusiasts,
>
> I bought them from MOSS and the vendor told me that probably, since
> the air flow would be less restricted, I'd to install new, richer,
> needles as well, otherwise the engine could be running too lean.
>
> Well, at 110 mph (indicated), I decided that this was not the case.
>
> The question is, even if the engine runs OK, could it be running too
> lean so that it will damage the engine in the end?

Take a plug wrench with you next time you go out and hot-rod it and see
for yourself. If plugs are sandpaper-white, you got a problem. But I
think you may be being oversold on those K&Ns. The area over the jets
and the size of the jet orifice is the same so I wouldn't think the air
mixture would change much.

My guess is that, if anything, your 40-80 time should improve a
marginal amount.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69MGC/GT