Are MGB's Designed to Overheat?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Are MGB's Designed to Overheat?
From: GFoster7K@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:13:40 -0400
I watched with interest the thread on overheating MG's.  I recently purchased
a nicely restored '66 MGB and have been enjoying it very much.  However, I
decided to attend a British car meet at a resort in our local mountains and
it involved a long climb at about 55mph and the air temp was about 90F.  It
overheated (temp about 230F in the half and half coolant mixture).  So it
took 3 rounds of stopping and cooling to make it to the cooler air at the top
where we enjoyed the gettogether.It over heated again on the way home when we
stopped at a MacDonald's drive through.  Air temp still about 90F.

My question is...What is normal for an MGB?  Are they designed to remain cool
at idle with no wind and an air temp of 80F?, 90F?, 100F?  Can anyone relate
to experience with a brand new '66 MGB?  Surely they were raced and rallyed
and maintained there cool.  Any modern car will climb the hill to the resort
without overheating.  What should I expect from this car if in perfect order?
 (as designed).  I had a twin com MGA that NEVER overheated.