Re: Are MGB's Designed to Overheat?

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@MV.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Are MGB's Designed to Overheat?
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.MV.UNISYS.COM
Date: 11 OCT 96 13:03
Well, having owned or been close to TINTIN since his birth, I can attest
that he used to never overheat.  Once going over the Grapevine (the 5,000+ ft
pass north of L.A.) in 100+ he did overheat.
Nowdays, though, overheating is more customary.  TINTIN overheats idling
in hot weather, or going up steep hills.  I had the radiator rodded,
and no improvement.  The water pump, from what Denise says, may be
worn so that the internal tolerances are insufficient to circulate
adequately.  I
I'm using a five-blade fan.  I suspect that the water jacket gets caked
with deposits and either inhibits the ability of the block to transfer heat
to the coolant, or restricts the flow.  I did a thorough flushing with
Dihydrogen Oxide a couple years ago, but no improvement.  I think that
it's just that as they get older, they get hotter.
I'm going to try some Kim Chee in the radiator.  It has the added
benefit of not only being a good stop leak, but if you radiator does
leak, everyone knows it.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*