Jammed Starter Motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Jammed Starter Motor
From: Stephen Peter Mirams <mirams@bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:14:22 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,

Last night my Midget wouldn't start. Checked the obvious (battery, fuel
etc.) and decided to get the RACV (Roadside Assistance) out to help. The
mechanic said it was a jammed starter motor and he should be able to get
it unstuck. Anyway after rocking the car in gear he loosened a reteining
bolt and gave the motor a whack with a chunk of wood. To my delight it
started first go.

Now to my questions

Why did it do this?
What is it getting stuck on?
Is there anything you can do to prevent repeat occurences?

I wouldn't mind having to do this in future now that I know what to do,
however it worries me that it is doing it in the first place. Can any
major damage occur if the problem isn't fixed?

Thanks in advance

Steve
69 Midget