Re: Jammed Starter Motor

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jammed Starter Motor
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 13:57:50 -0700
At 12:19 PM 10/20/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Ross,
>
>My bendix also seems to be sounding different and I realize from reading this
>that I've never lubed it. Where do you lube ?...at the drive end where it
>egages the flywheel???
>Probably from under the car? Oil? Grease? Silicone Spray?
>
>Bruce Durgin

Hi again Bruce,

If you've got an oil can with a long spout you can do it easily from above.
Use a lightweight oil which tends to accumulate less crud and lube the
shaft, for and aft of the drive gear.  The gear spins up a spiral cut gear
on the shaft due to it's inertia compared to the acceleration of the drive
shaft.  Lube the end of the shaft closest to the starter, then gently turn
the drive gear by hand and it will "screw" itself toward the starter, now
lube the exposed shaft.

Good luck
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT