MGB Factory AC

To: DamitDick@gnn.com
Subject: MGB Factory AC
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 07:54:23 -0700
>Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 23:01:00
>From: DamitDick@gnn.com (Damit Dick)
>Sender: DamitDick@gnn.com (W. J. Richard Criswell) (from &3)
>Apparently-To: <gumby@joshuanet.com>
>
>)
>To: gumby@joshuanet.com
>Subject: Re: Air Conditioning
>
>Jim...
>
>Thanks for the quick response.
>
>Am delighted to learn that you have most, if not all, of what I'm
>looking for. I am definitely interested in all the in cockpit
>components (swivel units, switching unit, evaporater, etc.)
>
>I had intended to utilize modern Japanease components from an Isuzu
>or some such for all the under hood components such as compresser,
>condenser etc. However the factory compressor and alternator mounts
>would probably come in handy as well as the other misc parts you
>mention.
>
>As to a fair price, what can I say. There was someone on the list
>who was removing a factory unit from his car a few months ago and
>inquired as to what it was worth. As I recall, the concensus was
>$150 - $200 for a complete setup. He decided to keep it and install
>it in a friends car.
>
>I wish you were closer. I'd like to run up and take a look before
>everything is removed from the doner. Perhaps that can be arranged.
>
>Small world. I retired as a civilian from Point Mugu, live in
>Camarillo, would like to live in Newbury Park. Actually, if the
>real estate market ever recovers and my consultant business ever
>dies out, I'll be heading back to Portland where I grew up and
>where nearly all my MG projects still reside.
>
>Let me know what you decide on price and what your hours are.
>
>Dick :>)
>Vintage Parts & Products
>Camarillo, California
>Have MG will travel

Dick...I've put this note on the list so perhaps others can add some input
as to the value of this factory air conditioning setup.  I'm certainly not
here to rip anybody off for this unit.  As I said earlier, I looked high and
low for the engine bracket and never could find one for sale.  Once when I
did, the owner wouldn't sell it (I eventually wound up buying the entire car
from his estranged daughter.  Yes, I did get lucky!).  All the cockpit
components are still in the car...haven't looked into how involved that will
be to remove.  I'll figure at least one hour labor (that = $40 to me). I'd
probably be more tempted to sell all the cockpit gear and keep the
hard-to-find engine bracket for about $200.  The bracket is the factory
original.  Even after I cleaned it up, it must still weigh about 20 pounds,
so suffice to say that it is heavy duty!

I'd guess (to me) the two brackets (engine to compressor; compressor to
alternator) with the old compressor is worth an easy $100.  If you want
everything I have that has to do with MG factory air, I'll sell it to you
for $250 plus shipping.  If you want me to take some pic, send me a package
of Polaroid film and I'll shoot the car!

Best regards,
Jim Boyd
Resident of the North State (#51!)