Re: MGB Factory AC

To: gumby@joshuanet.com, DamitDick@gnn.com
Subject: Re: MGB Factory AC
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:35:42 -0400
To all...

I installed a used MGB A/C unit this summer. I bought a unit from a gentleman
in Kansas for $250 complete.

I did do extensive modifications to the car,such as a 65 amp alternator,
modern fuse blocks and wiring harness modifications to handle the extra
electrical load, a custom radiator core and booster fan to handle the
additional cooling load, a larger condensor to assist with a retrofit to
R-134A and some other minor items. My total cost was about $700.

Later, I did find a local gentleman who has heavy 3/8", laser cut brackets
for mounting a Sanden compressor (the original brackets I have are 1/4") on
and MG engine. I also found a local company specializing in A/C system for
custom and antique caqrs, trucks. They have everything but the brackets for
an MG engine. They do have brackets to fit anything domestic (back to a Ford
flat head V-8).

I am very happy with the results, although I will be doing some insulating of
the floor and firewall this winter. This was an most interesting project with
a fairly high degree of difficulty.

If anyone is interested in further details, please e-mail me.

R. Johnson - Dallas