Weird Whistling, Mk II

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Weird Whistling, Mk II
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:41:43 -0500
Friends:

I've got sort of an odd problem with Rags these days. She's being used =

as a daily driver now, after many many months off the road, and I'm =

starting to find out some quirks with her all over again. Here's the =

latest, and any advice would be appreciated.

On startup, particularly in the morning and moreso if it's cold, I get a =

sort of odd whistling sound, off and on, from somewhere around the =

bulkhead or maybe a little forward of it. (It never stays long enough =

for me to track it down). It's occasional, very high-pitched, and almost =

always only when I first start the car. Sometimes with the clutch in, =

sometimes with it out. Interval is irregular, and duration is, too ... =

usually only a few seconds.  Doesn't sound like the fan belt (too far =

back, near as I can tell, and never on acceleration). It has sort of a =

metallic note to it, but it's never long enough for me to really be =

sure. It goes away after the car has warmed up.

Unrelated (I think) is an occasional whistling I get on deceleration, =

after I've let my foot off of the gas. Perhaps I should characterise it =

as a squealing of some sort, very very short in duration (a second or =

so) but repeated at odd intervals. I have NO clue what this is.

Here's the setup:
75 MGB, 79 motor. Rebuilt <12000mi. Rebuilt tranny, installed <2000 =

miles ago. New clutch, pressure plate. Weber 32/36 DGAV carb, chrome =

headers (Vicky B specials), Monza exhaust with brackets by CKR, new =

suspension (front and rear). Motor mounts just replaced. New rear =

wheels, old (>10 year) front wheels (wire). I had the half-frame pulled =

recently, but these problems predate that. No emissions except the =

carbon canister left on the engine. Recently pulled and cleaned the oil =

sump and put in new pump seals. Oil pressure is good (65psi at high =

throttle, idles at 35 or so, 50+ on startup). Neither tach nor speedo =

work (tach was blown out when DPO wired the battery backwards, speedo =

needs a new right-angle drive.) New battery, tyres, battery box, cables. =

New brake lines and MC. Water-pump mounted fan, plastic. Stock valves =

and cam (as far as I know). Timing is 17=B0btdc with no vaccuum advance, =

distributor is a Lucas 25D (pre-74) model. New plugs, points, wires, =

coil, T-stat and TSU. I've checked the header/IM studs, they're all =

tight and I put the gasket in myself. I rechecked them after I replaced =

the motor mounts.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'