Re: Rust-Oleum

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Rust-Oleum
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:48:53 +0000
From: todd @ nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins) @ USDESMTP
Date: 10/15/96 10:21:57 AM
Subject: Rust-Oleum

>> 53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration (painting with aerosol Rust-Oleum)
>
>How's it coming?  I have plans to Rust-Oleum my 'B, after I find all of
>the sheetmetal panels I need.  Gloss Enamel, I'm assuming?  Does the
>Rust-Oleum look decent?
>
>--
>
>Todd Mullins
>Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast
>
>'74 MGB Tourer

It's looking pretty good so far. I'm doing one panel at a time which
I think helps when using spray cans. The bigger the area, the harder
it is to get a good smooth coat without runs or overspray. I know the
B can't be disassembled like the TD, but maybe by masking up to the
seams it can be painted one area at a time. One thing I've found with
the spray cans is that each pass must be adjacent to a pass that is still
quit wet. If you wait too long or go back to an old area, the overspray
won't completely "melt" into the old pass. This results in areas that
are dull. This is way large pieces like the TD wings are harder to do.
Maybe these problems occur with big paint guns also, but I think the
small coverage of the aerosol spray (only an inch compared to a foot)
aggravates them. (On the other hand, the aerosol paint won't get all
over your garage.)

I have a question about enamel for the group. Can a dull area be made
glossy by polishing or buffing, or do these techniques only apply
to lacquer paint? If polishing works, what kind of compound should I
buy?

Also, does anybody with experience with Rust-Oleum gloss enamel have
any opinions on how it will hold up compared to regular automotive paint?

Any painting advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 11 months and counting