RE: MGA Oil Starvation -- EUREKA (I think)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <BarneyMG@aol.com>
Subject: RE: MGA Oil Starvation -- EUREKA (I think)
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:07:12 -0400
>... [snip]
>>My original 1500 style parts have a side entry from the oil pump extention
>>into the screen assembly.  Inside the screen a tube with a 90 degree bend
>>turns to face nose down at the bottom of the screen assembly.  Both this
>>curved pickup tube and the pump extension have 1/2" bore for the oil to flow
>>through.  The bottom piece of the screen assembly is perforated (as well as
>>the sides), but has a blank sheet metal area directly under the end of the
>>pickup tube, with fine mesh screen directly on the plate, and the end of the
>>tube TOUCHING the screen (there are contact marks on the screen).  The
>>end of the tube has two semi-circular notches at opposing sides, these
>>notches measuring 0.33" across.  The two notches combined equal one
>>round hole 0.33" in diameter.  There is no other flow area between the tube
>>and the bottom plate.  Imagine having to push nearly one quart of oil per
>>second through a hole that small with just 14.7 psi of atmospheric pressure
>>(ventedcrankcase).
>>
>[snip] ...

Barney,

Before you get to carried away with the GIFs of the "Increased Capacity
Oil
Sump",  "Oil Sump Baffle", "Oil Pump Mods", and "Oil Filter Head Mods"
that
I sent you ... Anders Clausager indicates, in "The Original MGA", that
commencing with engine 15GB-U-H 4632 in Sept. '58 ...

"Oil sump suction pipe moved forward to prevent starvation when
cornering or
braking.  Pump strainer and studs all modified.  This change also
applied to
engine numbers from 46045 to 46100." Seems to me that the boys at
Abingdon
solved your problem 38 years ago ;-) ... they replaced your "side entry"
pickup
with a "bottom entry" pickup ... check your Moss Catalog ... IOW, if
your mods
to the "pickup tube" don't fix your problems, I  would consider fitting
the later
model pump and strainer ... Moss has the oil pump on sale for $83.95.

I still think that the "Oil Sump Baffle" would help since you insist on
cornering
at 7000+ rpm ;-).

Safety Fast ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com