Re: Points --> Elec. Ign. Common Place?

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Points --> Elec. Ign. Common Place?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 07:31:17 -0600
Jay Quinn wrote:

> Is it common practise for most to convert their breaker points system to
> electronic ignition?
>
> What are some possible disadvatages?
> The main disadvantage is you put that shiny new computer-eltrik wizzet
into the same crappy distributor.

I went to a new Mallory Dual-Point in my 'C' for the following reasons:

1) A new distributor! (No lousy worn bushings, lousy worn centrifigal
advance, and leaky old vaccum advance from the old one.)

2) Larger diameter distributor. Much less likely for the spark to arc to
a couple of plugs as in the puny LBC distributor.

3) Dual points, properly adjusted, gives a nice, long, stable dwell.

4) It will not strand me on the road. You can limp home on one set.
(the computer crap eventually dies. And you're stuck)

5) A 'period' replacement. I'm a computer nerd by trade and the less
pesky computer stuff in my car the happier I am.

6) I give my car a full tune-up twice a year. Resetting the points is
no big deal. You should be under the cap looking for maintenance issues
anyway.

7) Easily adjustable centrifigal advance.

8) Vicky British has them on sale every February. ($160 I think)

9) The cap is red.

10) Cool decal.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT