Re: A little radiator lead - what to do?

To: "John P. Quinn" <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: A little radiator lead - what to do?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:02:36 +0500 (EST)
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, John P. Quinn wrote:

> Well it's your car but I wouldn't put any of that canned stuff to plug leaks
> in my radiator.  Not even my wifes '90 Cavalier (Piece of XXXX)  Liquids
> don't fix mechanical problems.
>
> I'd take it off and bring it to a good radiator shop and have it
> professionally repaired.  You may find that under pressure, there are other
> tiny holes about to pop.  Thats the only way to deal with a problem
> radiator.  Ask a pro radiator man what they think of Fix-O-Radiator in a can.

I second this. I've had some temporary success with the silver powdery
stuff (don't remember the brand name; might be "Stop Leak"), but I had a
near-disastrous experience years ago with my Mayflower and some other
sort of semi-liquid goop. It was a foolish idea, done in desperation, and
that silver powder stuff wasn't available where I'd had to stop. The end
result was massive overheating, which stopped just short of engine
seizure (although the underbonnet area did receive a nice steamcleaning
at no extra charge). The engine was never quite the same after that
(nor, Glen W., were my lap times at LRP ;-) ).

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *