How much rust in your block?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: How much rust in your block?
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 01:20:19 -0500
I tore just down an MGA 1500 engine in preparation for a rebuild.  It's low a
mileage engine, 50-55K, small ridges in the cylinders, and standard pistons &
bearings.  It was in surprisingly good shape inside, all the original
locktabs in pace and not a scratch on anything.  I'm really not used to
seeing this.  There was also 1/4" of solid mud in the bottom of the oil pan,
so I suppose it seldom had an oil change.

The water pump impeller had a significant amount or rust built up on it, so I
decided to yank the core plugs and check out the water jacket.  Yep!  Lots of
rust sediment in the bottom as well as on the walls.  I stood the block on
end, front down, with the water pump opening overhanging the end of the bench
to allow the garbage to drop out.  I then proceeded to thrash away at the
interior of the water jacket from all possible directions with bits of small
steel rod for about an hour.

That left quite a pile of rust on the floor, so I decided to shovel it up and
weigh and measure it.  It came to 1-1/2 cups in volume and weighed in at
exactly 16 ounces.  Considering how narrow the water jacket is, that seems
like a lot of junk to be clogging it up.  And this from a low mileage engine!
 I put that much mileage on my MGA in about three years.  This one probably
never saw a drop of antifreeze, only water.

So, all you LBC lovers out there (maybe experiencing overheating problems),
how much rust do you suppose you have in your engine block?

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA