Re: Spin on oil filter question

To: kboetzer@auspex.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spin on oil filter question
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 02:34:26 -0500
In a message dated 96-10-31 21:26:03 EST, kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
writes:

<< One point that comes to mind. I have a spin on adapter that hangs the oil
filter.
<< The filter screws on from below. I have a friend that had one that
supported the
<< filter. The filter screwed on from above. (inverted?)
<<
<< He was watching me change my oil one day and commented that he thought his

<< system was nicer in that his filter drained back after the car was
stopped, so he
<< didn't have to get under the car to change the filter and he also didn't
get a handfull
<< of oil while he was removing the filter. I countered that the handful of
oil wasn't so
<< bad but I thought the fact that the oil had to get sucked up into the lube
system
<< delaying pressure build up during startup was a big negative. >>

Nearly 10 years ago I bought a hanging spin-on adapter, the machining was
defective, allowing oil to bypass the filter.  At the first oil change I
noticed the problem, returned the adapter, and bought an inverted spin-on
adapter (all I could find at the time).

I do NOT have a drain-down problen with my inverted filter for two reasons.
 First, the filter itself has a check valve in it that prevents back flow.
 Second, the adapter has a long tube sticking straight up about 3" into the
center of the filter so the oil in the filter also cannot run into the block
while stopped.  It does however drop quite a bit of oil when being unscrewed.
 That problem can be relieved somewhat by punching two small holes in the end
of the filter before removal, one hole in the center and another one 2/3 off
center towards the side.  These holes break the vacuum inside the canister
and allow some oil to drain into the block through the center tube until the
oil level in the canister is down to the top of the tube.  But because of the
check valve, about 1/2 of the oil still won't drain out of the filter until
it is removed from the center thread.

Personally I find the inverted canister to be VERY convienient for changing
(which I do often).  Just keep the drain pan underneath until your finished,
and wipe things off a bit afterwards.  Every filter I've ever seen slops a
little oil anyway, and I'd just as soon not have it running down my arm.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA