Re: 5 Main bearing year

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Subject: Re: 5 Main bearing year
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 06:45:47 -0800
joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com wrote:

> If memory serves me, 5 main engines started in 1965, 4-syncho transmissions
> started in '68.  These are model, not calendar years.
>
> Joseph
> 67 roadster
> 5-main, 4-synchro

Sorry but aren't you contradicting yourself here?  Your 67 should have a
non-synchro first gearbox unless it's been fitted with a later gearbox.
Maybe
I missed that part.

The 4-synchro gearbox started in 68, the same year that the padded dash
started.

68 is universally known as a watershed date for most automotive
manufacturers as
this was the first year for the Ralph Nader influenced safety laws.
It's why the
knock-offs with the ears on them were dropped...and why the lovely
E-type's covered
headlights were disgraced.

TJ
65 MGB-metal dash, unmarked switches, crashbox gearbox