Re: midget door hinges and windsceen removal

To: Jeremy Baxter <jeremy.baxter@parallax.co.uk>
Subject: Re: midget door hinges and windsceen removal
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:03:57 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Jeremy Baxter wrote:

> Can anyone offer any advice about either of the folowing (the cars a 72):
>
> 1) taking the door hinges off the car, I've taken the door off the hinges
> but seem unable to get the hinges off the car ( I want to get them off cause
> one of them is v. stiff and looks like it's bending the a post every time
> the door's opened or closed!

Best bet is to heat the screws as hot as possible with a propane torch
(or oxyacetalene if you have it), let cool, and try again.  Preferred
tool is a #4 (or maybe it's a #3) posidrive screwdriver with a hex on the
shaft that lets you put a wrench on it.  If you won't pop for posidrives,
try a fat phillips.

If that fails, get a good, sharp 1/4 inch drill and drill the heads off
the screws.  After removing the hinges, you can soak the bolt ends with
penetrating oil which was impossible with the hinges in place, try heat
again, and use a vise-grip to get the remains out.  New screws are
available, or if you are not a stickler for originality you can substitute
1/4-28 bolts.

> 2) taking the windscreen + frame out - I've undone the bolts on either side,
> just inside the doors, and the bolts that release the rod just under the
> rear view mirror, but it just don't seam to lift out.

You haven't mentioned whether you have removed the screws at the forward
end of each w/s post; they screw into captive nuts in the cowl.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910