Re: Lucas, cool wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas, cool wheels
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 05 Nov 1996 11:03:12 -0600
In <327F6B76.7BDE@ic.net>, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
>William Eastman wrote:
>>
>> I seem to remember that my 84 Vette had Lucas-Girling brakes made in
>> Australia.
>> For whatever reason, there appears to be perception that Lucas is no
>longer in business.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  Lucas is still
>in business, still based in the UK, and yes, they are an automotive
>component supplier.  They rival Bosch as a global supplier, and primary
>activities include fuel management systems (EFI, fuel pumps, etc), and
>brakeing systems.  Seems that their
>penchant for building electical systems of dubious quality has been
>forgotten by most of the industry.

I recently went winter beater shopping at a local dealer that supplies
Saab, Audi and Jaguar.  I had chatted sufficiently with the
salesman for him to know that I had a lot of experience with British
cars.  When he showed me the engine compartment of the Audi A4 (which
_has_ to be seen), he very quickly leaned in and placed his thumb very
oddly on the master cylinder assembly.  It was sufficiently obvious
that it hardly could have been deceptive.  He was covering the very
prominent Lucas logo.

Yes, I got the A4 (the one with the really comfy seats) and yes, the
brakes work just fine.  Middle-age crazy....

                        A. B. Bonds