RE: brake drag

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake drag
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 08:52:00 -0800 (PST)
New spring set?
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: brake drag
Date: Monday,November 04,1996 2:19PM

ok, this problem i have been having with my brakes is really starting to
annoy me. it's also kind of embarrasing (much like my speling ability :)
) when you are driving around and having this sound come from your brake
drums for everyone to hear. anyway, this weekend i finally took the darn
drum off. i replaced the wheel cylinder thinking that maybe when i had
the master cylinder out there was some crud that got caught in it and was
too big to be flushed out when i bled everything. i thought maybe that
was causing the brakes not to release fully. by the way, why do the
replacement wheel cylinders come with different circlips that are nearly
impossible to get on compared with the older ones where you could use
circlip pliers? anyway, i replaced that cylinder which was needing to be
replaced anyway. no dice. still have the horrible scraping noise. i did
notice whilst i was in there that there were spots on the shoe that
looked glazed. i've also noticed that after i have beedn driving for a
while that this drum does get much hotter than the other just by putting
my finger against them both. so the shoes are definately dragging. i
double checked the positioning of the springs. they seem ok. also, when i
adjust the brakes, i turn the adjuster until the drum will not move, then
i back it off two flats so the drum will turn with just a wee bit of
drag. and no, the inside of the drum shows no sign of deep grooves or
gouging. any ideas on this? what am i missing? should i back the adjuster
off a few more turns? should i take some fine sandpaper and clean off the
glazed portions on the shoes?
        i'm also getting a high pitched squeel coming from my left front
wheel. it seems to come and go with bumps in the road and which way i am
turning the wheels. i fear this is probably the wheel bearings.
        any thoughts or suggestions please give me a holler. thanx.

glen
'66 midget